Connect GoDaddy Domain Name To Shopify
If your domain name was registered through a 3rd-party domain registrar, you need to accomplish two things to successfully link your domain to your Shopify store.
- Add Shopify’s Resource records in the domain’s DNS.
- Set up or add your domain through Shopify.
Based on Shopify’s help center, here are the the DNS records you need to add/modify:
- A record should point to Shopify’s IP address, which is 220.127.116.11
- www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com
How or where can you add these DNS resource records?
DNS records can be added or modified through the domain’s DNS provider, the process varies depending who’s hosting it.
1.) Add Shopify’s Resource Records
If you’re using GoDaddy to manage the DNS of your domain, follow the steps below to redirect your domain to Shopify.
If not, check who the DNS provider of your domain and contact their support team to request adding these DNS resource records:
GoDaddy: Creating A and CNAME record
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center.
- Select your domain to access the Domain Settings page.
- Under Additional Settings, select Manage DNS.
- Select Add under the records table.
- Under Type, select CNAME.
- Host: www
- Points to: shops.myshopify.com
- TTL: 1 hour is good enough.
- Select Save to save your new CNAME.
- Do the same steps, but this time add an A record which points @ to Shopify IP address 18.104.22.168.
2.) Add Custom Domain in Shopify
Once you’re done adding the DNS records, you may now add your domain name to your Shopify account.
- Go to Shopify and Login to your account.
- Select Online Store in the dashboard.
- Click Domains.
- Click on Connect existing domain.
- Enter your custom domain name (example.com).
- Click Next.
- Click Verify Connection.
3.) DNS Propagation Delay
If Shopify is unable to verify the DNS records yet, give it several more minutes before attempting to verify the connection again.
Any DNS changes may take from few minutes up to 48 hours to fully take effect across the entire internet.
Given that the DNS is properly configured, you will definitely see your custom domain name integrated with your Shopify website soon.
Check out this post if you have another domain from a third party domain registrar that you wish to connect with Shopify.Back to top
Some of the links on the Website may be "affiliate links". This means if you click on the link and sign up or purchase an item, I may receive an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Please check Disclaimer for more info.