Connect Dynadot Domain Name To Shopify
If your domain name was registered through a 3rd-party domain registrar, you need to accomplish two things to successfully link your domain to your Shopify store.
- Add Shopify’s Resource records in the domain’s DNS.
- Set up or add your domain through Shopify.
Based on Shopify’s help center, here are the the DNS records you need to add/modify:
- A record should point to Shopify’s IP address, which is 126.96.36.199
- www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com
How or where can you add these DNS resource records?
DNS records can be added or modified through the domain’s DNS provider, the process varies depending who’s hosting it.
1.) Add Shopify’s Resource Records
If you’re using Dynadot to manage the DNS of your domain, follow the steps below to redirect your domain to Shopify.
If not, check who the DNS provider of your domain and contact their support team to request adding these DNS resource records:
Dynadot: Creating A and CNAME record
To create an A and CNAME records, please follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Dynadot account.
- Select “My Domains” from the left-side menu bar and click “Manage Domains” in the drop-down.
- Check the box next to your domain name(s) and click on the “Bulk Action” button.
- Choose “DNS Settings” from the “Bulk Action” list.
- On the DNS page, select the “Dynadot DNS” setting from the top drop-down menu.
- In the “Domain Record (required)” section, select “A” from the drop-down menu and then enter your IP address 188.8.131.52 in the “IP Address or Target Host” box.
- In the “Subdomain Records” section, enter www as the subdomain, select “CNAME” from the drop-down menu and then enter Wix CNAME value shops.myshopify.com in the “Target Host” box.
- Press the “Save DNS” button to save your changes.
2.) Add Custom Domain in Shopify
Once you’re done adding the DNS records, you may now add your domain name to your Shopify account.
- Go to Shopify and Login to your account.
- Select Online Store in the dashboard.
- Click Domains.
- Click on Connect existing domain.
- Enter your custom domain name (example.com).
- Click Next.
- Click Verify Connection.
3.) DNS Propagation Delay
If Shopify is unable to verify the DNS records yet, give it several more minutes before attempting to verify the connection again.
Any DNS changes may take from few minutes up to 48 hours to fully take effect across the entire internet.
Given that the DNS is properly configured, you will definitely see your custom domain name integrated with your Shopify website soon.
Check out this post if you have another domain from a third party domain registrar that you wish to connect with Shopify.Back to top
Some of the links on the Website may be "affiliate links". This means if you click on the link and sign up or purchase an item, I may receive an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Please check Disclaimer for more info.