Link or Connect Your Domain Name to Wix
There are two methods to link your domain name to a Wix website.
The first one is through Pointing.
Which can be done by adding DNS records like A and CNAME through your DNS provider.
The second method is through DNS.
Which can be done by redirecting your domain to Wix nameservers.
Don’t get confused. Pointing and DNS are terms used by Wix for these methods, but they have different meaning for other providers.
If you’re a beginner who’s relying on Wix support team for DNS concerns, I recommend to use DNS method.
Redirecting your domain to Wix nameservers will allow them to host the DNS and easily configure it for you.
But if you’re already comfortable managing the DNS through your DNS host or looking for advanced DNS settings, then you may use the Pointing method instead.
Before we proceed with the actual linking of your domain to Wix.
Check the help article of your domain registrar / DNS provider to learn how you can add the necessary DNS records to your domain.
If your provider is not listed above and you’re not sure how to add DNS records, you may contact your domain registrar or reseller for assistance.
Note: Connecting a custom domain to Wix is only available for Premium users.
- Go to the Domains page in your Wix account.
- Click Connect a domain you already own.
Note: If you already have a domain in your account, click Add an Existing Domain, then select Connect a domain you already own.
- Select the site you want to connect your domain to and click Next.
- Enter the domain name.
- Click DNS next to Connection Method at the bottom of the page.
- Select Pointing.
- Click Confirm.
- Click Next.
Wix will display the necessary CNAME and A record that you need to add to your domain name.
Here’s an example:
The values in the screenshot is just an example. Those may vary depending what records Wix will assign to your website.
For those who wish to use Wix nameservers, just select DNS in step 6 instead of pointing.
These values are just examples, you may see different nameservers assigned to your account.
2.) Update The DNS Through Your DNS Provider
Login to your DNS provider’s account and create the DNS records given by Wix.
Add A record:
- Name/Host: @ or domain.com(depends on the dns provider)
- Type: A
- TTL: 3600s
- Data/Target: 126.96.36.199
Add CNAME record:
- Name/Host: www or www.domain.com (depends on the dns provider)
- Type: CNAME
- TTL: 3600s
- Data/Target: www170.wixdns.net
This is how it looks.
3.) Verify Your Domain Connection
Once done adding your domain through Wix and DNS records through your DNS provider.
Return to the Domains page in your Wix account and click Verify Connection.
That’s it. You’re done with connecting your domain to Wix.
4.) Waiting Game
It’s pretty normal that Wix cannot verify the connection immediately due to DNS propagation delay.
Every DNS changes or update is subject to DNS propagation which may take up to 24-48 hours to fully take effect in the entire internet.
This Google Domains integration process will only work if the domain name and Wix website are registered under the same Google account.
If not, you may need to use Google Domain permission feature to share the domain management to same account where the Wix website was created.
Once you’re logged in to the same Google account as your Wix account, you may proceed with the steps below.
- Open Google Domains.
- Click the domain name you want to manage.
- Open the Menu.
- Click Website and then Build website.
- Click See all options.
- Under Wix click Continue.
- Click Sign in to existing account. (If you have more than one Google account in browser session, you will be prompted to select your Google account. Select the owner account of your domain.)
- Click Accept if Wix asks permission to view your Google account information.
- Click Accept if Wix asks permission to manage your Google domain resource records.
- Log in to your existing Wix account. (Wix free plan does not support the ability to connect your own domain. In order to connect Wix site to your domain, you need to upgrade to a premium plan.)
- To verify your domain is connected, review site address setting inside the Settings tab. If not, click on Manage Domains to set it up.
- Publish your site and test your domain address in a browser.
If the domain URL loads successfully, Congratulations! You’ve successfully set up your Wix site and connected your domain.
If after 48 hours and your website is still not working, try to go back to Step 1 to do manual integration instead.
- Log in to your GoDaddy account and open your product.
- From the Domain Manager, select your domain name from the list to access the Domain Settings page.
- Scroll down to the Additional Settings section and select Manage DNS.
- On the DNS Management page, at the bottom of the Records section, click Add.
- Select A from the Type drop-down menu.
- Complete the required fields:
|Field name||What to enter|
|Host||The host name the A record links to. Type @ to point directly to your domain name.|
|Points to||The IP address assigned by Wix|
|TTL||How long the server should cache information (1 hour is a good example)|
- Click Save to complete the process.
- Do the same steps to create Wix CNAME record this time.
Note: All DNS changes can take 24 – 48 hours to fully update across global networks.