Connect 123-Reg Domain to Wix
This guide on how to Connect your 123-Reg Domain to Wix is a 2-part integration process.
The first part is to add the domain through Wix website while the second part is to configure the DNS of your domain through your DNS provider.
The process of doing the second part varies depending who’s hosting the DNS of your domain.
If you’re a beginner, I recommend to use DNS method. This way, the Wix support team can help you with DNS and website concerns at the same time.
Redirecting your domain to Wix nameservers will allow them to host the DNS and easily configure it on your behalf.
But if you’re already comfortable or have a lot of experience managing the DNS on your own, then you may use the Pointing method instead.
Without further ado. Here’s the specific domain mapping instruction for those who have a 123-Reg domain name.
Part 1: Add Your Domain through Wix
- Go to the Domains page in your Wix account.
- Click Connect a domain you already own. Note: If you already have a domain in your account, click Add an Existing Domain, then select Connect a domain you already own.
- Select the site you want to connect your domain to and click Next.
- Enter the domain name.
- Click DNS next to Connection Method at the bottom of the page.
- Select DNS or Pointing.
- Click Confirm.
- Click Next.
Wix will display the necessary CNAME and A record or Name servers where you can point your domain name to.
DNS / Name servers method:
Part 2: DNS Configuration
In the DNS configuration, you have two options how you want to go about it, but you only need to choose one.
You can either point your domain to Wix Name servers or create A and CNAME records.
Option 1: Pointing Domain to Wix Name servers
1. Log in to your 123 Reg control panel.
2. Have a look in the Domains section. Select your domain name using the drop-down menu and then click on the Manage button.
3. If you are changing a top level domain i.e. .com, .net etc, you will need to unlock the domain name first. This can be done by selecting the Manage Domain Locking option and clicking on the Unlock domain link. Once the domain has been unlocked click on the Back to Control Panel link.
4. Select the Change Nameservers option.
5. Enter your nameserver records into the relevant boxes. If the IP addresses are required you will be asked for these as well.
6. Click on the Change Nameservers (DNS) button.
7. You can now change your Nameservers. Click the Update button to complete the process.
Option 2: Pointing by DNS (A or CNAME or both)
1. Login to your 123 Reg control panel. In the Domain names section, select the relevant domain name in the drop-down list and click on the Manage button.
2. Scroll down to the Advanced Domain Settings section and click on the Manage DNS (A, MX, CNAME, TXT) link.
3. Click on the Advanced DNS tab.
4. Select A or CNAME from the Type drop down list, depending on what your web host advised you to add.
5. In the Hostname field enter www or @ symbol.
In the Destination address field enter the IP address or destination the domain will point to.
Please note: You can point the root domain (example.com) by using the @ symbol instead of www. This means that people can enter example.com into their browser and be directed to your IP address, whereas entering www will mean that the user will have to enter www.example.com.
In many cases, both records are used, meaning that the user can enter either www.example.com or just example.com
6. Click on the Add new entry button to save the new record.
Note: If this record is to replace an existing record you can delete the original record by pressing the delete button.
Verify Your Domain Connection
Once done adding your domain through Wix and DNS records through your DNS provider.
Return to the Domains page in your Wix account and click Verify Connection.
All DNS changes may take 24 – 48 hours to fully take effect across the entire internet. This delay is also known as DNS propagation.
If the DNS has been properly configured and the domain has been added successfully through Wix, rest assured that it’s just a matter of time before you will see your domain integrated to your website.
Other 3rd-party Domain Registrars
For those who have other domain names from 3rd-party domain registrars, check this Registrar-specific guide for further information:Back to top
Some of the links on the Website may be "affiliate links". This means if you click on the link and sign up or purchase an item, I may receive an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Please check Disclaimer for more info.